Apr 29, 2020

The Art of Waffling on Zoom

Well, it hardly needs to be said that the Christmas tree still stands, mocking me as we head into summer.  I did struggle through 49 pages of colour theory and when it came to the bit to do the first practice, I stalled.  My materials are all lined up in a row, but I have not yet been able to lift a brush, not even to do a single stroke. 

That's how things are in these strange times. Like everyone else, I am adjusting to this new life. I am grateful to be able to do my bit by staying put, Fan sa Bhaile (if this is not  immediately understood by you, please see note below).

Of course, I would have imagined a situation like this would have provided me with masses of energy to write novels or paint massive pictures. But in reality, I can't even be bothered de-cluttering. I am however, enjoying the cleanliness of my desk.  Every day it is clean and bright.  It was a bit mystifying that this little nook, this cubby-hole I call my office, usually looks like a disaster zone, but for weeks now is nice and clean and orderly . . . all the time. Eventually it has dawned on my that this is because I am not using it. Beautiful.  

Donald Teskey and myself, during our talk at
The Mermaid Arts Centre in Bray in 2017.

To break the monotony, one of my favourite supporters suggested I should have an online exhibition.  How would that work?  I asked. I imagined, I confess something rather dull, like sprucing up my website (again).  Nooo she wrote . . . We could do it on Zoom, and we could all gather round our screens and  have a glass of wine and look at your paintings.  She had me at the glass of wine. . . . I was very, very interested then.  But it still seemed a bit odd, as it's not like I can hope that you'll actually buy any paintings, given that the world we now live in values one roll of toilet paper higher than a barrel of oil . . .In this new reality, I should be paying you to take them away. In fact, I briefly considered it as I am sequestered for the period with the contents of my studio cramming up this small house . . . (my old studio is being repaired and work has stalled).

So, I thought I'd offer to share with you one of my arty talks . . . I have done a few in my time . . . most recently at The Mermaid, in Bray . . .   about where I came from as an artist and how I got to be here.  


It was very well received. Apparently its entertaining and funny in places.  I love artist's talks myself, but as an attendee. Last time I was talking with Donald Teskey, and people asked if out had been recorded and it wasn't. There was time for loads of interesting questions about the process and the getting to this point as a painter.

I don't want to give too big a lead in as I am not at all sure what I am at . . .  but it is an experiment.  I am technically competent so I can promise you a shortish 20 minute talk with pictures . . .in the comfort of your own home. There will be a chance to chat and meet others if you want.  Bring a glass of wine and put your feet up.  If you want to ask questions, now is your opportunity . . . . If you are new to Zoom and want to join in, but are a bit intimidated, feel free to contact me first for a trial run. I'd love the practice. 

If you are a total techno phobe and don't want to know about Zoom or PCs or tablets, but would love to earwig in with what's going on, even you can join us using old technology, too. Using an ordinary landline you can hear the whole thing. 

Yes, even the pictures will be better (they'll be in your head). This is all possible and easy. 

With warmest regards to you and yours in these strange and difficult times,






Fan sa Bhaile (pron. fan sa wall-ya) means Stay at Home in Irish

No comments:

life as an artist

I write about life as an artist and the challenges that this choice presents. I was born without arms in 1961 and this makes my painting demanding, my life stimulating and my choices complex. I like it like this.