Mar 29, 2020

Evidence of Extreme Tardiness or an Art Installation?


















In spite of the challenge to floor space, the Christmas tree is still standing proudly in the corner, bedecked with twinkling lights. A visitor in late February commented that he thought it was an "art installation" (I thought it was fairly obviously a severe case of procrastination). 

But it is true that the tree is quite charming. It is a substantial, beautifully formed, bare limb of a lovely apple tree that was over-hanging the vegetable garden. 

It was threatening to topple onto the brassicas last summer, and against my better judgment, and behind my back, one day the limb was lopped off. 

The vegetable garden last summer



















The tree survived, the brassicas thrived and this lop-sided limb was retrieved from under the hedge very later on Christmas Eve. 

Within seconds it was propped up in an old chimney pot, where it remains, to this day (one hundred days later). 

 But as the days get longer, and the more we are squeezed, tighter and tighter by the detritus of my studio life, I am looking longingly at the space this tree occupies. And as I stroke fondly my latest big garden purchase . . . a rechargeable and cute, small and efficient, recently sharpened chainsaw, I think the days of that twinkling 'art installation' are indeed, numbered. 









 

No comments:

life as an artist

I write about life as an artist and the challenges that this choice presents. I was born without arms in 1961 and this makes my painting demanding, my life stimulating and my choices complex. I like it like this.