Apr 14, 2021

Add Your Tuppence Ha'penny Worth




















I have made a video of a current work in progress. It explores the making of a large commissioned painting 80 cm x 180 cm before it is completed. You can watch it by clicking here or on the image above.

The title, 'A Minute to First Gun' refers to the subject of the painting . . . the moments before the start of a race of sailing dinghies.

If after watching the video you would like to post a comment, please feel free to do so in the comments section below.







4 comments:

Paul said...

Thanks Mary. I loved the video, and the painting has me yearning to get back sailing myself. I’d love to see it hanging and, as a creative myself, I get the struggle of love & release with “little darlings”. But I mist say how especially moved I am by the figures. You had me from the first shot of the person leaning into the wind.

Unknown said...

Lovely to travel with you on the creation of A minute to First Gun. I feel you have captured the adrenaline rush that is the anticipation of getting over the line. Thank you for sharing!--Fred

Pat said...

I really enjoyed your video of working on ‘One minute to the first gun’ for two reasons - firstly as an artist, your thinking about the design, colour and tone of the painting as you worked on it and secondly as a sailor, the marvellous feeling of the excitement, noise, and tension of the lead up to a gun, I could almost hear the rush of water, the flapping of sails as boats went about and someone shouting ‘Water’ Well done.

Val said...

What a magical triptic, full of power and movement, I love it! Your new hobby of sailing is seeping into your first love of painting! Wonderful! The pair on the Wayfarer really look to be hanging out to keep the boat upright.

life as an artist

I write about life as an artist and the challenges that this choice presents. I was born without arms in 1961 and this makes my painting demanding, my life stimulating and my choices complex. I like it like this.